Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The First Reactions

For many of you this might be a touchy subject, for me, it's life and I love it. Yes, I am pregnant, I am 22, and I am single. Go ahead, take a moment to digest the facts.

When I saw those double pink lines on the First Response pregnancy test I cried tears of confusion, denial, and fear. Nothing about how I felt was good. I was also drunk and at my best friends house. I called my sister hysterically crying, begging her to come pick my up and take me home. When she asked me what was wrong, I blurted out, "I'm pregnant!" She couldn't hide her joy if she tried. Yes, JOY. I was terrified and she was excited. I had clearly called the wrong person.

As we drove to my parent's house we talked about what I was going to do.

"It can't be possible. There is no way. I can't be pregnant. The test lied, " was all I could think or say.

"Are you going to tell your mom?" she asked.

Of course I was going to tell my mom. I have this problem where I can't keep secrets, even my own life changing secrets. Mom's reaction? She smiled and she kept smiling while trying to talk me back down to reality. She was happy. Did she forget that I am single? That my current job was as a waitress in Baltimore? That I had no savings or steady cash flow? Did she forget that I am 22?? Nope, she just didn't care. All she cared about was that she was going to be a grandma. Obviously, my family sees through rose colored glasses and I desperately needed to get my own pair.

My dads reaction was more what I expected, but still crazy.

"I'll get my shot gun," he said with a mouthful of eggs. We all just stared at him trying to figure out exactly what the hell he was talking about. Was he going to kill me? Really? Just like that?

"Looks like we're going to have a shot gun wedding." he finally said. I just laughed. Sure dad, whatever you say...

My other sisters reaction was another surprise and definitely not what I was expecting. After staring at me with stone cold eyes for what felt like hours she finally said, "So it's going to be a Libra?" Really? That was her biggest concern? She then went on to rant about Libras and their qualities.

Clearly my family's reactions were less than ordinary and left me feeling no better or worse about the situation. But after days of decision making I realized I actually have a pretty great life and great friends and one hell of a family, so why not have this little bundle of joy? At least I know the little bean will never run out of stories to tell about her crazy grandparents and her crazy aunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment