Friday, January 14, 2011

Changes

A lot has been changing around here which is a pitiful excuse for my lack of posts, but it's true. I'll fill you in, just for the sake of it.

As you know I am a young single mama living with my very helpful parents. Up until last week I was jobless and secretly loving the time I was getting with my little Ava. But reality kicked in and I couldn't pretend to be a stay at home mom anymore. Because I am receiving benefits from the state of Ohio I had to start a program where I have to volunteer and gain experience to help transition me (and other people receiving benefits) back into the workforce. It's a pretty fantastic set up in my opinion and something I honestly knew nothing about until I found myself in my current situation. **Side note: It's truly amazing how many programs our government has to help the unemployed, it's unfortunate how many people take unfair advantage of our system.** In any case, I was appreciative of the chance to gain more work experience and still receive my insurance benefits. However I realized that I am perfectly capable of finding a job and set out to do so. Within a week I was lucky enough to find a great position working with children after school. You see, since becoming a mother all of my priorities have shifted. I went from being a young single lady who really only cared about myself to someone who realized family is oh so important and something you should never take fore-granted. I have really started to ask myself what I want from life and how I want to raise my daughter. Recently when people have asked me what I want to do in my life I have immediately answered, "I want to help people." I have realized how many programs are out there that help people who need it, be it financially or emotionally. Before my pregnancy I knew nothing about WIC (Women, Infants, and Children), or the government programs, or other such programs and now I depend on them and see how wonderful and helpful they are for our community. Anyways, the position I found working with children is through a very well known program that I really admire as I am learning more about them. This is a great position to begin my (hopeful) future of teaching and helping others. I am so excited about it and it fits perfectly into my life right now (it is only part time so I still have plenty of time with my little Ava).

This is becoming a very long post, I apologize if I have lost you. I'll stop there but I still have soooo much to share including:

-the beginning of daycare (not an easy transition)
-getting back into the workforce (an interesting transition)
-taking care of a sick baby (Ava has her first cold! so sad)

and lots more...

P.S. This blog is probably going to become more and more of a "journey though motherhood" blog so I am sorry if that isn't your cup of tea.

And because every entry deserves some photos so here are a few of my favorite pictures of Ava to date (taken a few weeks ago):




2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! Is she sitting up all by herself?

    I can't wait to hear more about the transition. I'm so happy to be back in school and have realized that it's NECESSARY for my sense of self. I also realize that the second I get home from school, all I want to do is to hold him and stare at him.

    Good luck with the teaching! You're going to be great!

    ReplyDelete