Friday, April 30, 2010

Rad Dog

So last night I stopped being a tired, boring pregnant girl and ventured out with my friend Caitlin to a bar in a part of town not really known for its bars and food. I am sooo glad I went out, for a few reasons.
One: Cait and I haven't spent as much time together as I thought we would. She is in school and works two jobs so a night off is rare for her. And I have been in such a slump lately, always tired, always lazy, blah blah blah. So it was great to spend some time with her and laugh about stupid stuff.
Two: I got to eat the best meatless hot dog (seriously). I have been craving hot dogs like crazy lately, but they are sooo bad for a pregnant girl (though, that usually doesn't stop me...). Anyways, problem solved, I found a hot dog that is good for me and delicious. It's called Rad Dog and it might be one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Columbus isn't really known for its delicious, creative foods but it definitely should be. We have so many hidden gems here and Rad Dog is definitely one of them. You have to know a few secrets to get your hands on one though. They have a cart every weekday from 10:30 am -2 pm on the busiest street corner in downtown (Broad and High). But if you are craving one of those dogs after work hours you have to go Hal and Al's, a neighborhood bar in Merion Village. You wouldn't expect to find such great food at the dark bar.



It's really hard to see the menu so let me describe some of the dogs:

The Original Rad Dog is a beer brat topped with grilled onions and peppers, saurkraut, and spicy mustard.

The Radneck (the next one I'll try) is a beer brat, deep fries and smothered in mash potatoes and gravy.

The Be Bin Bop is a Kimchee, Korean red pepper sauce and Tempura battered dog.

The Frenchie is a beer brat covered with Veganaise, ketchup and stacked with a mound of hand cut french fries.

And of course they give you the option to build your own. And these aren't little baby dogs, these are huge dogs, perfect for a pregnant gal.

And not only do they have great meatless dogs, they also have fried pickles and mushrooms and delicious hand cut fries that go great with their homemade veganaise (a vegan mayo).

So if you are in Columbus and you want to try something new and delicious please, please try a Rad Dog. You'll feel great afterward knowing that you ate something great and knowing you supported a local business. And anyone who doesn't live in Columbus, take this as an invitation to visit me and we'll go get a Rad Dog together.

No comments:

Post a Comment